Monday, July 14, 2008

The Proust Questionaire



What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Owning an apartment in Brooklyn, a successful career as a writer and a critic, and a loving family.

What is your greatest fear?
To be alone, and terminally ill.

What historical figure do you most identify with?
Abraham Lincoln and Queen Elizabeth I.

Which living person do you most admire?
My mother.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Anxiousness.

What is the trait you most despise in others?
Disloyalty.

What is your greatest extravagance?
Fashion.

On what occasion do you lie?
Only to protect others.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
The fact that I am not leaner.

Which living person do you most despise?
George Bush, and anyone who resents difference.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
“Awesome,” “As per usual,” and “Just throwin’ that out there,” “OMG”

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would be less of a worry-wort.

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
That they would heal faster.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Never compromising my beliefs because of my ambition.

If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
Someone with a little more money.

Who are your favorite writers?
Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, Thomas Bernhard, and Roberto Bolano.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Zooey (Franny and Zooey), Gudrun (Women in Love), and Fanny (Mansfield Park)

What is your most treasured possession?
My teddy bear, and my first editions of Virginia Woolf.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
The inability to recognize beauty in the details.

Where would you like to live?
Near the water, in Marble Head, Massachusetts, with an apartment in New York.

What is your most marked characteristic?
My height, I think, or my bleach blonde hair, as of late.

What is the quality you most like in a man?
Emotional awareness and kindness.

What is your greatest regret?
That I didn’t pursue an acting career with more aplomb.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Who knows.

If there is a Heaven what would you like to hear God say when you arrive?
We should do lunch!

4 comments:

William Owen said...

Abraham Lincoln?

He was tall too, and you can't go wrong with tall.

Jessica Ferri said...

that's why i relate!

William Owen said...

I cribbed your post while I toiled away at those textbooks I have to toil with.

Anonymous said...

I knew I couldn't be the only person with Fanny Price as a book hero! My friend says that Fanny's spineless. (I've just been back-reading your blog)